I realize I’m so behind blogging. I remember making this cake for fathers day which was easily over a month ago. We had a BBQ at our house and so asked my dad and hubs what they wanted for dessert. Dad asked for something with strawberries seeing as the season started and Pierre asked for carrot cake. Thus the marriage of the two. I prepared it not thinking very much about posting it as a blog. However realized I had too after posting a pic on Instagram and getting a barrage of requests to post the recipe.
I was feeling a bit over run that day prepping for a BBQ with a 3 year old in that clingy always hold me stage and so decided to throw all the cake batter in a bundt pan and drizzle with some frosting. Layer cakes are gorgeous and defo have a strongly sense of occasion, but when you’re preparing lunch for 10 people, sometimes just a pretty bundt cake is all you need.
It had been a while since I made a bundt and I was a bit nervous it would break when inverting the pan…the trick for me has always been to use a non stick baking spray. Buttered brushes are okay and of course seem more natural…but with all the nooks and crannies, spraying the pan seemed the most practical.
This time round, I also decided to use olive oil instead of canola oil. It was so moist and with the pureed strawberries both in the cake and in the drizzle … bliss.
- 260 G or 2 cups of AP flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 400 g or 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 250 grams grated fresh carrots on box grater (biggest hole)
- 250 grams fresh ripe strawberries pureed in blender
- 227 grams or 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese room temperature
- 5 tablespoons of unsalted butter room temperature
- 125 grams or 1 cup icing sugar sifted
- 200 grams fresh ripe strawberries pureed in blender
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Generously spray bundt cake pan with baking spray...making sure you get all the little groves
- In large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon and salt then mix well with whisk and set aside
- Puree all the strawberries to desired smoothness and divide for cake and frosting and set aside
- Grate the carrots with a box grater on the large hole and set aside
- In stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, stir brown sugar and add eggs one at a time on low speed. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl with spatula and stir again
- Add the olive oil in a slow steady stream while paddle continuously stirs
- Fold in the flour mixture into thirds, with a spatula then fold in the strawberry and carrots in and mix until just combined (don't over mix)
- Pour batter into bundt pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a tester stick comes out clean.
- Once cake is ready, allow to cool in pan for about 20 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack
- In stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat the butter and the cream cheese still smooth and creamy
- Add the strawberry puree and stir until well incorporated.
- On low speed add the icing sugar and stir well
- For a really thin drizzle, add a couple tablespoons of milk or for a thicker drizzle, add another ¼ cup of icing sugar
- Wait for cake to completely cool before pouring drizzle over.
Leave a Reply